Paris 1714 - Paris 1785
Maker: Sèvres, Manufacture nationale de
Louis XV en empereur romain
c. 1765, base c. 1770-1780
Dimensions (HxWxD): 8 1⁄16 x 7 x 5 5⁄16; base: H. 1 3⁄4 x diam. 8 3⁄8 in.
Acc. No.: 1917.958
Credit Line: Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan
Photo credit: ph. courtesy Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford
© Artist : public domain
- possibly marquis de Marigny, c. 1770-1781
- 1906, Paris, Léon André
- 1917, Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan
- 2000 Roth and Le Corbeiller
Linda H. Roth and Clare Le Corbeiller, French Eighteenth-Century Porcelain at the Wadsworth Atheneum, The J. Pierpont Morgan Collection, Wadsworth Atheneum, 2000, no. 177 (figure c. 1770), p. 356-360
- Large-scale marble statue that was part of a larger monument unveiled in the Place Royale, Reims, on 26 August 1765; destroyed in 1792.
Other copies of this biscuit:
- Londres, British Museum
- Paris, Musée du Louvre, inv. OA 10976
- Sèvres, Musée national de la Céramique.
- Museum's label, October 11, 2017:
This porcelain figure was originally designed for an elaborate table decoration for the 1770 marriage celebration of the future Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette. The base was made to match that of Friendship [by Falconet], and was perhaps commissioned by Madame de Pompadour's brother, the marquis de Marigny.