Bordeaux, Gironde 1827 - Paris 1901
Maker: Val d'Osne
Taureau chargeant, l'un d'une paire
Charging Bull, one of a pair
model 1865, cast early 20th century?
signed on base at proper right side: ISIDORE BONHEUR Sculp.
(probably inscription by the founder Val d'Osne, Paris)
Photo credit: ph. Laure de Margerie, 13 octobre 2017
- Acquired by industrialist and politician Samuel Pomeroy Colt (1852-1921), founder of United States Rubber Company, later becoming Uniroyal (he is the nephew of Samuel Colt, 1814-1862, inventor of the revolver which bears his name)
- 1913, September 26, Installed at the entrance to his model farm, Colt Farm, in Bristol, RI, open to the public since its inception (on the entrance pillars is carved the inscription: Colt Farm, Private Property, Public Welcome); the park was ornated with many European sculptures of which certain are now at his Bristol Residence, Linden Place
- 1965, The park is acquired by the State of Rhode Island
- 1968, Colt State Park is dedicated
- 2008 Dulière
Cécile Dulière, "La paire de taureaux en fonte du parc de Mariemont", Cahiers de Mariemont, n° 36, 2008, p. 35-43 [Musée royal de Mariemont, Morlanwelz, Belgique]
- Stanislas Lami, Dictionnaire des sculpteurs de l'école française du dix-neuvième siècle, Paris, 1914, t. 1, p. 128:
(Translation:) Two Bulls, plaster models exhibited at the Salon of 1865, nos. 2877 and 2878. These plasters were made to be cast in bronze to ornate the garden of the Palace of Belerbey that the Sultan Abdul-Aziz [1830-1876] was then building in Constantinople [Istanbul]. It is the sculptor Pierre-Louis Rouillard [1820-1881] who was in charge of directing the decoration of this residence.
Other copies of the Bull (not charging), in cast iron:
- Paris, 15e, entrance to the former slaughterhouse of Vaugirard, now parc Georges-Brassens, two almost identical copies placed on high pedestals, commissioned in 1897
- Slaughterhouse of Cureghem, Anderlecht, Belgium
- Parc de Mariemont, Morlanwelz, Belgium
- Guatemala City
- Piriapolis, Uruguay
- Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain...
See website E-Monumen.net.