Shepherd Playing the Flute
after a 1710 original
Dimensions (HxWxD): W. 32 x D. 35 in.
Photo credit: ph. courtesy Biltmore Estate, Asheville
- 1889-1895, Biltmore Estate was built for George Washington Vanderbilt II (1862-1914); architect: Richard Morris Hunt, landscape designer: Frederick Law Olmsted
- According to Biltmore Estate, May 2017: "A number of the terra cotta sculptures in Biltmore's gardens are reproductions of Antoine Coysevox originals at Versailles. Unfortunately, we do not know who made these replicas or when/where they were purchased."
- On display on the South Terrace
- 1977 Souchal
François Souchal, French Sculptors of the 17th and 18th centuries, The reign of Louis XIV, Oxford, Cassirer, 1977, vol. 1, p. 213, n° 88, ill. p. 214
- Original in marble, 1710, created for the Château de Marly, today at the Musée du Louvre, Paris. See French version of this website.