Bordeaux, Gironde 1827 - Paris 1901
Taureau, l'un d'une paire
Bull, one of a pair
bronze, marble base
Dimensions (HxWxD): 13 3⁄4 × 20 1⁄2 in.
signed, incised on base: J. Bonheur
Acc. No.: M1986.79
Credit Line: Gift of Mr. and Mrs. James Nelson
Photo credit: ph. LM, avril 2016
- 1970, Houston, Francis B. Dunn
- 1980, Waukesha, Estate of Francis B. Dunn
- Mr. and Mrs. James Nelson
- 1986, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. James Nelson
- Museum's website, November 4, 2015
- 2008 Dulière
Cécile Dulière, "La paire de taureaux en fonte du parc de Mariemont", Cahiers de Mariemont, n° 36, 2008, p. 35-43 [Musée royal de Mariemont, Morlanwelz, Belgique]
- 1988 Milwaukee Art Museum
Frederick Layton and his World, Milwaukee Art Museum, April 8-August 28, 1988, p.140-141, cat.53
- See also its pendant : M1986.80.
Reduction of Bull, sculpted for Sultan Abdul-Aziz in Contantinople.
Stanislas Lami, Dictionnaire des sculpteurs de l'école française du dix-neuvième siècle, Paris, 1914, t. 1, p. 128:
(Translation:) Two Bulls, plaster models exhibited at the Salon of 1865, nos. 2877 and 2878. These plasters were made to be cast in bronze to ornate the garden of the Palace of Belerbey that the Sultan Abdul-Aziz [1830-1876] was then building in Constantinople [Istanbul]. It is the sculptor Pierre-Louis Rouillard [1820-1881] who was in charge of directing the decoration of this residence.
Other copies of the Bull (not charging), in cast iron:
- Paris, 15e, entrance to the former slaughterhouse of Vaugirard, now parc Georges-Brassens, two almost identical copies placed on high pedestals, commissioned in 1897
- Slaughterhouse of Cureghem, Anderlecht, Belgium
- Parc de Mariemont, Morlanwelz, Belgium
- Guatemala City
- Piriapolis, Uruguay
- Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain...
See website E-Monumen.net.
Bronze edition of the reduction par sculptor and founder Hippolyte PEYROL (1832-1921), brother-in-law of Isidore Bonheur.