Dimensions (HxWxD): 15 15⁄16 x 15 15⁄16 x 7 3⁄4 in.
Acc. No.: 2015.281
Credit Line: Museum purchase funded by Fayez Sarofim in memory of Maxwell Alexander Sarofim at “One Great Night in November, 2015”
Photo credit: ph. Anna Tahinci, 2016
- France, Private collection
- Paris, De Bayser Gallery
- Summer 2015, London, Daniel Katz
- 2015, given to MFAH by Fayez Sarofim
- 2015, Museum purchase funded by Fayez Sarofim in memory of Maxwell Alexander Sarofim at ?One Great Night in November, 2015?
- Museum's website, March 12, 2018
- See text on French version of this website.
Museum's label, October 2016:
Auguste Préault is today considered the French Romantic sculptor par excellence and this remarkable roundel, conceived for the funerary monument of Jacob Roblès (1792-1842), his masterpiece.
Completely innovative in form, this awe-inspiring head of a shrouded man who holds his finger against his closed lips is the very embodiment of "The horror of the fatal enigma, the seal closing the mouth at the moment we learn the word," (J. Michelet, 1846).