2008 Dulière Cécile Dulière, "La paire de taureaux en fonte du parc de Mariemont", Cahiers de Mariemont, n° 36, 2008, p. 35-43 [Musée royal de Mariemont, Morlanwelz, Belgique]
Reduction of Charging Bull, sculpted for Sultan Abdul-Aziz in Contantinople. Stanislas Lami, Dictionnaire des sculpteurs de l'école française du dix-neuvième siècle, Paris, 1914, t. 1, p. 128: (Translation:) Two Bulls, plaster models exhibited at the Salon of 1865, nos. 2877 and 2878. These plasters were made to be cast in bronze to ornate the garden of the Palace of Belerbey that the Sultan Abdul-Aziz [1830-1876] was then building in Constantinople [Istanbul]. It is the sculptor Pierre-Louis Rouillard [1820-1881] who was in charge of directing the decoration of this residence. Other copies of the Bull (not charging), in cast iron: - Paris, 15e, entrance to the former slaughterhouse of Vaugirard, now parc Georges-Brassens, two almost identical copies placed on high pedestals, commissioned in 1897 - Slaughterhouse of Cureghem, Anderlecht, Belgium - Parc de Mariemont, Morlanwelz, Belgium - Guatemala City - Santiago-du-Chili - Piriapolis, Uruguay - Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain... See website E-Monumen.net. Bronze edition of the reduction par sculptor and founder Hippolyte PEYROL (1832-1921), brother-in-law of Isidore Bonheur.
Museum's website, September 25, 2015:
Isidore-Jules Bonheur, the 3rd Bonheur child to become an artist, first exhibited at the Paris Salon in 1848 with the plaster study, An African Horseman Attacked by a Lion. For decades, he exhibited there and at the Royal Academy of Art in London, as a respected member of the school known as les animaliers. In 1889, Isidore won a Gold Medal at the Exposition Universalle. While the majority of his works were small, he created large works as well, including two monumental bulls for the Palace of the Sultan in Constantinople and two stone lions for the Palais de Justice in Paris. One of his most renowned works was a monumental bull, essentially a much larger version of the statue in the center
of this gallery, created as a monument to his sister Rosa and placed in the Forest of Fontainebleau a short distance from Paris. Unfortunately, it was melted down by the Germans during World War II.