download
09317_SanAntonio_OLLU_ph_ollusa

Vierge à l'enfant

Our Blessed Mother with the Child Jesus, given the name Our Lady of the Lake

1906

mold, cement painnted white

statue

Dimensions (HxWxD): H. 7 feet 8 in.; H. of pedestal: 13 feet

Photo credit: ph. ollusa

© Artist:


Provenance

  • 1906, October 7, Funding by the Congregation of Divine Providence ($260)
  • In front of main building

Bibliography

  • Information note by Sr. Generosa Callahan, Archivist, CDP, received August 27, 2015

Comment

  • OLLU's website, accessed August 27, 2015:
    The Sisters of Divine Providence were formed in 1762 in Lorraine, France, by Father John Martin Moye. Father Moye organized a small group of women to go out into the rural villages of France and provide education to those who had no access. These women were without resources, but relied on Providence to conduct their ministry. Father Moye called this his "Project."
    The “project” thrived and eventually developed into the Congregation of Divine Providence (CDP). In 1866, two of the Sisters from Lorraine traveled to Texas to establish schools in the new diocese of Texas. With trust in Providence and few other resources, the Sisters began 24 Texas Catholic schools by 1886 and a branch of the CDP in Texas.
    In 1895, the Sisters were given a gift of land at the west end of San Antonio adjacent to Lake Elmendorf. The only stipulation was that they had to commit to constructing $75,000 in buildings on the property within 10 years. The Sisters began construction on what is now the Main Building of Our Lady of the Lake University. The school was first an academy for girls. College courses were added in 1911 to train the Sisters as teachers in the schools the CDPs had established.
    Eventually, lay women were admitted. In 1942, graduate courses were added and male students were admitted. The college became fully coeducational in 1969. In 1923, OLLU became the first San Antonio institution to receive regional accreditation. Since then it has been continuously accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.