download
08035_Winterthur_FavreHoudon
after a model attributed to:

HOUDON, Jean-Antoine


Versailles, Yvelines 1741 - Paris 1828

FAVRE, Maurice Constant

Paris 1875 - ? 1915 or 1919

Pierre Samuel du Pont (1739-1817)

Pierre Samuel du Pont (1739-1817)

1890-1915 copy after a bust by Houdon dated c. 1775-1776

marble

bust

Dimensions (HxWxD): 32 x 21 14 x 15 in.

Acc. No.: 1967.1925 A (pedestal 1967.1925b)

Credit Line: Bequest of Henry Francis du Pont

Photo credit: ph. Wikimedia/Daderot

© Artist:


Provenance

  • c. 1890-1915, copy created in Paris after a plaster copy made after the original bust by Houdon, commissioned by Colonel Henry Algernon du Pont (1838-1926)
  • His son Henry Francis du Pont (1880-1969)
  • 1967, Bequest of Henry Francis du Pont

Bibliography

  • Museum's website, 25 February 2015
  • 1976 Newsletter
    "Further Documentation of Bronze Bust is Discovered", Winterthur Newsletter, 1976, 4
  • 1975 Arnason
    H. H. Arnason, The Sculptures of Houdon, 1975, p. 32-33 (discusses original sculptures by Houdon)

Related works

  • About the original busts by Jean-Antoine Houdon (1741-1828), Winterthur object files, 9 November 2009:
    The medal which the subject wears is of the Order of Vasa, presented by the King of Sweden in 1775 in recognition of du Pont's treatise on political economy. The bust shows the subject wearing about his neck the ribbon and the insignia of the Royal Order of Vasa (Sweden), of the rank of Chevalier, conferred upon him by King Gustavus III on May 23, 1775. He received permission from the king of France to accept the knighthood on June 25, 1775. The actual investiture took place in Paris on October 10, 1775.
    So it was only shortly thereafter that the bust was began and it was awaiting completion in January 1776. Du Pont was then at Versailles when his wife sent her letter. Research is still continuing to establish the date when the busts were shipped to America. They seemed to have descended in the family of E.I. du Pont, and from his son Alfred Victor du Pont, to Emma Paulina du Pont (1827-1914), and ultimately to the latter's nephew Pierre S. du Pont (1870-1954). They were at Longwood when they were moved to the Eleutherian Mills Historical Library in 1961. In 1954 Pierre S. du Pont informed his cousin Henry F. du Pont that the attribution to Jean-Antoine Houdon was then still not proven.
    Plaster copies of the originals, in several pairs, were made in America, but by whom and at what date is not yet known.
    A pair was owned by Colonel Henry A. du Pont who sent them to Paris to be copied in marble by the French sculptor Maurice Favre. These are the only known marble copies and they are now in Winterthur.
    Plaster copy in Winterthur Archives.