download
06540_NY_CountyCourtHouse_Martiny_Justice

MARTINY, Philippe or Philip

Strasbourg, Bas-Rhin 1858 - New York City, New York, United States 1927

La Justice

Justice

1906

granite

statue

Photo credit: ph Clémentine Delplancq, été 2013

© Artist:


Provenance

  • 1906-1961, entrance on Center Street of the New York Surrogate's Courthouse
  • 1961, when the street was widened, the statue and its pendant Authority were transferred to New York County Courthouse, 60 Centre Street

Bibliography

  • 1909 Catalogue
    Catalogue of the works of art belonging to the City of New York, prepared and issued by the Art commission of the City of New York, New York, 1909, p. 124 (available online: http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000450414)
  • 1992 Karel
    David Karel, Dictionnaire des artistes de langue française en Amérique du nord, Québec, 1992, p. 545-546

Related works

  • See its pendant Authority.