c. 1875-1900, after a model c. 1777
Dimensions (HxWxD): 20 1⁄2 x 19 x 11 1⁄2 in.
Acc. No.: 24.4
Credit Line: The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens
Photo credit: The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens
© Artist : public domain
- Walter C. Wyman (1848-1911)
- 1924, acquired by Henry E. Huntington
- 2008 Bennett and Sargentson
French Art of the Eighteenth Century at The Huntington, Edited by Shelley M. Bennett and Carolyn Sargentson, The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens, in association with Yale University Press, New Haven and London, 2008, p. 463, cat. 167, entry by Carolyn Miner
- 2016 Ehrlich
Pamela Ehrlich, "The Royal Academy of Sciences' Bust of Benjamin Franklin", Antiques & Fine Art, Summer 2016, p. 144-151
- Painted terracotta, H. 27 (without base), exhibited at the Paris 1777 Salon, Paris, Bibliothèque Mazarine; inscribed at back: BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, NE A BOSTON EN AMERIQUE LE XVII JANVIER 1706, FAIT PAR J.J. CAFFIERI, EN 1777.
- Brunswick, Maine, Bowdoin College Museum of Art, plaster painted as bronze, H. 29 7/8, acc. no. 1835.1, Gift of Benjamin Vaughan (1751-1835, friend of Benjamin Franklin) in 1835
- London, Royal Academy, inscribed and signed
- New York, NY, Metropolitan Museum of Art, plaster painted green, H. 13 1/2, acc. no. 83.2.190, Gift of William H. Huntington in 1883 (same model?)
- New York, NY, New-York Historical Society, Gift of Dr. David Hosack (1769-1835) in 1835
- Warsaw, Poland, Royal Castle Museum, inscribed and signed, acc. no. ZKW/3430, purchased by King Stanislaus from Caffieri in 1784
- Washington, D.C., George Washington University, plaster painted bronze/gold, inscribed and signed, H. 28, Gift from Caffieri to the Royal Academy of Sciences in 1788, then gift from the Academy of Sciences through the Merci Train in 1949.
Marble copies, some of them being possibly carved by Giuseppe Ceracchi (1751-1801), Italian sculptor who lived in Philadelphia 1790-1794:
- Annapolis, MD, Maryland State Archives, H. 25, acc. no. MSA SC 4680-20-0029, formerly in the Peabody Institute Art Collection, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore
- Easton, PA, Lafayette College, H. 21, acc. no. S159
- Hartford, CN, Wadsworth Athenaeum, H. 19 1/2, acc. no. 1939.460, Gift from estate of Mrs. James J. Goodwin in 1949
- Philadelphie, PA, Historical Society of Pennsylvania, formerly at Atwater Kent Museum of Philadelphia, H. 20 (without base)
- Philadelphia, PA, Pennsylvania Hospital
- Philadelphia, PA, Second Bank of the United States
- Philadelphia, PA, The Franklin Institute, bust cut at shoulders.
Other type (coat with big buttons), copies in Sèvres porcelain:
- Cambridge, MA, Harvard Art Museums, H. 9 1/16, acc. no. 1943.1163, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop in 1943
- San Francisco, CA, Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco, Legion of Honor, H. 9 1/2, acc. no. 1925.477, Gift of the French Government for the opening of the Museum in 1925.