Malaga, Spain 1881 - Paris 1973
Dimensions (HxWxD): 5 1⁄4 x 12 1⁄2 x 4 3⁄8 in.
Acc. No.: 1995.47.20
Credit Line: Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon
- New York, Paul Rosenberg and Co.
- 1961, Purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia
- 1995, gift to National Gallery of Art, Washington
- Museum's website, 17 August 2011
- 1996 Mexico City
Obras Maestras de la National Gallery of Art de Washington, Museo Nacional de Antropología, Mexico City, 1996-1997, unnumbered catalogue, 194-195, color repr.
- Curatorial file in NGA, 23 August 2011:
Picasso's Dove was cast from a ceramic original that the artist created in Vallauris, at the Madoura workshop, where he had been producing pottery since 1947. It is one of eight doves that Picasso cast in bronze (he can been forming one of the ceramic birds in a photograph from this period by Edward Quinn). (Quotation of Jeffrey Weiss)