Banyuls-sur-Mer, Pyrénées-Orientales 1861 - Banyuls-sur-Mer, Pyrénées-Orientales 1944
Maker: Rudier, Alexis
1906 or 1907
Dimensions (HxWxD): 16 x 10 x 11 in.
on proper lower left side of self base: M (within circle)
stamped on proper lower right back of self base: Alexis Rudier / Fondeur. PARiS
Acc. No.: 1995.47.18
Credit Line: Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon
Photo credit: Courtesy National Gallery of Art, Washington
- Upperville, Virginia, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon
- 1995, gift to the National Gallery of Art, Washington
- Museum's website, August 2, 2011
- 1996 Mexico City
Obras Maestras de la National Gallery of Art de Washington, Museo Nacional de Antropología, Mexico City, 1996-1997, unnumbered catalogue, p. 186-187, color repr.
- Other bronzes:
- Paris, Dina Vierny Foundation, Maillol Museum,
- Christie's New York, Estate of Mrs. Percy Uris, 13 November 1985, lot 205.
- Curatorial file in NGA, 4 August 2011:
This imposing bronze bust of the French impressionist artist, Auguste Renoir, was originally modeled in terracotta and later cast in bronze in several versions. Renoir invited Maillol to make his portrait and sat for him for approximately one week. [...] Renoir's portrait is individualized enough to make the artist recognizable, but wherever possible, Maillol simplifies his subject.