Valenciennes, Nord 1827 - Courbevoie, Hauts-de-Seine 1875
A Young Bacchante
Dimensions (HxWxD): 23 x 14 x 13 in.
signed in base: B. Carpeaux
Acc. No.: Sc 14
Credit Line: From the Christian Brothers Collection
Photo credit: scan from museum provided photo, J. Paul Getty Museum archives, Los Angeles
© Artist : public domain
- From Thomas Pinney, A History of Wine in America: From Prohibition to the Present, 2005, vol. 2, p. 251-252:
- app. 1974-1984, San Francisco, North Beach, The Wine Museum of San Francisco (The academic and artistic side of the new wine consciousness found a notable expression in 1974 in the opening of the Wine Museum in San Francisco. Its basis was the collection of artworks, artifacts, and books formed by Alfred Fromm altogether with the collection of wineglasses formed by his associate, Franz Sichel: Fromm and Sichel, who were the national distributors of The Christian Brothers wines, called it The Christian Brothers Collection. The Museum, in North Beach, was a stylish place and mounted highly interesting exhibits, but it did not survive the ups and downs of business life. After Fromm retired and his firm was sold, the museum had no support)
- 1984-1997, Seagram's, which took over the collection, or some part of it, finally shipped it to its own museum near Toronto [in Waterloo, Ontario, operated 1984-1997]
- 1997, Seagram Museum closed
- after 1997, the Archives are at Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807; The Seagram Museum collections were dispersed to a number of institutions, including The City of Waterloo, Community, Culture and Recreation Services (the major recipient of artifacts), Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada (prints, paintings, lithographs and art works on paper), and Brock University, St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada (wine-related library, artifacts and historic wine bottles).
- 1980 Lamb and Mittleberger
Richard B. Lamb and Ernest G. Mittleberge [i.e. Mittelberger], In celebration of wine and life : the fascinating story of wine and civilization : with art reproductions from the Wine Museum of San Francisco, the Christian Brothers collection, with a foreword by Alfred Fromm, San Francisco, San Francisco Wine Appreciation Guild, 1980 (ill. de couverture/cover ill.)
- See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seagram_Museum