Colmar, Haut-Rhin 1834 - Paris 1904
Le Vigneron alsacien
The Alsatian Vintner (The Water Boy)
Dimensions (HxWxD): 64 x 22 x 24 in.
signed: A.BARTHOLDI 1869
foundry: F.BARBEDIENNE FONDEUR
Acc. No.: 385
Credit Line: Collection of A.J. Drexel
Photo credit: ph Wikimedia Daderot, 19 mars 2014
© Artist : public domain
- Collection of A. J. Drexel
- in the Great Court of the Main Building
- Museum's website, 30 October 2011
- 1876 Philadelphia
Centennial Exposition, Philadelphia, 1876, n° 359
- Original bronze sculpture, 1869, commissioned for the marketplace in Colmar (Bartholdi's birthtown), now at the Musée Bartholdi, Colmar (a copy is in place). See French version of this website for information on it.
A modern copy has been donated by the City of Colmar to its sister-city, Princeton, NJ, and is located close to the townhall.
- Museum's website, 30 October 2011:
While the soft patina of age covers the statue, the right toe has been burnished to a shining bronze through constant rubbing by generations of Drexel students who, by tradition, believe that good grades will follow the ritual.