Paris 1763 - Paris 1810
Information given by Tamara Préaud, honorary archivist at the Manufacture nationale de Sèvres, June 19, 2013: Chaudet provides a retouched plaster, he is therefore the only author of this bust.
Maker: Sèvres, Manufacture nationale de
hard-paste biscuit porcelain
Dimensions (HxWxD): 20 1⁄2 x 10 x 9 1⁄16 in.
inscribed incised in block letters on front of base: NAPOLÉON
incised on top of back of base: A.L. [for the repairer Augustin Liancé]
incised in script on lower half of back of base: A.B. 6.dec.10 [Alexandre Brachart (sculptor/repairer at Sèvres), Dec. 6, 1810]
impressed on front of base, above NAPOLEON: SÈVRES
Acc. No.: 1997.8
Credit Line: Founders Society Purchase with funds from the Visiting Committee for European Sculpture and Decorative Arts, Mr. and Mrs. Stanford C. Stoddard, Mrs. Jennifer C. Stoddard; gifts from Lauretta R. Boell, Miss Alma l'Hommedieu, Mrs. Orren Scotten, Mr. and Mrs. Edgar B. Whitcomb, City of Detroit by exchange
Photo credit: 2012 Detroit Institute of Arts
- 1814, According to a plaque on the wooden base (now removed) that accompanied this work, the bust was a gift from Napoléon to "Joseph Philippe Arrighi de Casanova, Vicaire Général à l'Ile d'Elbe in 1814"
- before 1826, Frederick William Hervey, 5th Earl of Bristol, 1st Marquess of Bristol
- 1986, General Sir Henry Constantine, K.C.B., by gift
- Vincent Constantine, Cross Hall Manor, St Neots, Huntingdonshire, by descent
- Paris, Dragesco-Cramoisan (dealer)
- 1997, Founders Society Purchase with funds from the Visiting Committee for European Sculpture and Decorative Arts, Mr. and Mrs. Stanford C. Stoddard, Mrs. Jennifer C. Stoddard; gifts from Lauretta R. Boell, Miss Alma l'Hommedieu, Mrs. Orren Scotten, Mr. and Mrs. Edgar B. Whitcomb, City of Detroit by exchange
- 1973 Eriksen
S. Eriksen, La Porcellane Francesi a Palazzo Pitti, Florence, 1973, pp. 100-101, no. 57
- 1992-1993 Loesch
Napoleonische Schenkung 1809, exh. cat. by A. Loesch, Dresden: Porzellansammlung im Zwinger, 1992-1993, no. 1
- 1993 Chevalier
Napoleon, exh. cat. by Bernard Chevalier, Memphis, Tennessee, 1993, p. 99, no. 100
- 2000 Darr and Albainy
A. Darr & T. Albainy, "Acquisitions of European sculpture and decorative arts at the Detroit Institute of Arts, 1988 - 1999," The Burlington Magazine, 142 (June 2000), p. 410, no. XV (color ill)
- 1997 New York
The Sèvres Porcelain Manufactory: Alexandre Brongniart and the Triumph of Art and Industry, 1800-1847, exh. cat. by Tamara Préaud, New York, 1997, no. 137, pp. 345-6 (color ill)
- Two different sizes of this bust, of which this is the larger, were produced at the Sèvres Manufactory beginning in 1805.
Other examples of this model are:
- Florence, Palazzo Pitti
- Boston, Museum of Fine Arts
- Dresden, Porzellansammlung in the Zwinger Palace
- Musée national du château de Malmaison
Marble in Ghent, Museum voor Schone Kunsten Gent.