Vase : L'Automne (l'un d'une paire) (avec des masques de bacchante)
Vase: Autumn (one of a pair) (with masks of bacchante)
Dimensions (HxWxD): H. 70 5⁄8 x diam. 52 1⁄4 in.
Acc. No.: 66.29.1
Credit Line: Purchase, Josephine Bay Paul and C. Michael Paul Foundation Inc. and Charles Ulrick and Josephine Bay Foundation Inc. Gifts and Rogers Fund, 1966
Photo credit: www.metmuseum.org, August 17, 2011
© Artist : public domain
- 1753-1770, Paris, Palais du Louvre, Salle des Antiques, Louis XV
- 1770-1912, Château de Ménars, owned successively by:
- 1770-1781, Abel-François, Marquis de Marigny
- 1781-1793, Auguste Poisson de Malvoisin (Marigny's cousin)
- 1793-1804, Jeanne-Charlotte Poisson de Malvoisin, Comtesse de La Gallissonnière (the latter's sister)
- 1804-1811, Her daughters Amélie-Thérèse de Bellissen and Aglaé-Françoise-Rosalie de Mauléon
- 1811-1827, (sold to) Victor Perrin, Duc de Bellune
- 1827, Comte de Brigode
- 1827-1830, His widow Emilie Pellapra[t] and her second husband Joseph-Philippe-François de Riquet, Prince de Chimay
- date?, Their daughter, Marie-Henriette Valentine Riquet and her husband, the Prince de Bauffremont
- (1879, The Château was sold to Louis-Joseph Watel)
- 1881, The vases were sold to Louis-Joseph Watel
- 1912, Transferred to Paris, collection of Albert Watel
- 1935, Paris, in the collection of Mme Watel-Dehaynin
- 1966, Purchase, Josephine Bay Paul and C. Michael Paul Foundation, Inc. Gift, Charles Ulrick and Josephine Bay Foundation, Inc. Gift and Rogers Fund
- 1967 Phillips
John Goldsmith Phillips, "The Choisy-Ménars Vases", Metropolitan Museum of Art Bulletin, New Series, vol. XXV, 1967 (February), p. 242-250
- Part of a set of four vases ordered in 1742 by Louis XV for his garden at Choisy, based on designs by Ange-Jacques Gabriel (1698-1782).
One pair, with attributes of Spring, was executed by Jacques Verberckt (now in the Louvre and in the park of Malmaison).
Companion to this piece by Pigalle is a vase by Adam (see 66.29.2).