Druskieniki, Lithuania 1891 - Capri, Italy 1973
Maker: Modern Art Foundry, New York
Chant des voyelles
Song of the Vowels
1931-1932, cast 1969
Dimensions (HxWxD): c. 122 1⁄16 x 78 x 64 in.
on top of base: 7/7 J. Lipchitz 1931-32, Modern Art Foundry [indistinctly]
Acc. No.: y1969-22
Credit Line: The John B. Putnam Jr. Memorial Collection, Princeton University
Photo credit: Princeton University Art Museum
- 1969, Installed, Princeton University, between Firestone Library and the Chapel
- Museum's website, 3 November 2014
- 1982 Kelleher
Patrick J. Kelleher, Living with Modern Sculpture. The John B. Putnam, Jr., Memorial Collection, Princeton University, Princeton, The Art Museum, 1982, p. 60-63, repr., 131
- Maquette, 1931, terracotta, H. 14 1/2 inches, New York, The Museum of Modern Art, gift of the artist.
Initial large scale executed during the years 1931-1932 for the garden of the villa of Mme Hélène de Mandrot at Le Pradet (Var) in the Maures mountains; after her death, this first strike was moved to the Kunsthaus in Zurich.
6 other variants made by the sculptor:
- Paris, Musée d'Art moderne de la Ville de Paris
- Ithaca, NY, Cornell University
- Pocantico Hills, NY, Nelson A. Rockefeller Estate
- Los Angeles, The University of California at Los Angeles
- Otterlo, Kröller-Müller Museum
- this one (Princeton).