Paris 1848 - Atuona, French Polynesia 1903
Torse d'une femme
Torso of a Woman
Dimensions (HxWxD): 11 1⁄2 x 5 1⁄4 x 6 1⁄2 in.
Acc. No.: 1995.A.04
Credit Line: Raymond and Patsy Nasher Collection, Dallas, Texas
Photo credit: Tom Jenkins / Nasher Sculpture Center, Dallas
© Artist : public domain
- Paris, Ambroise Vollard (1866-1939, art dealer and publisher)
- Paris, Marcel Guérin (1873-1948, collector and art critic, author of L'Oeuvre gravé de Gauguin, 1927)
- New York, Buchholz Gallery (Curt Valentin, 1902-1954)
- 1956?, Beverly Hills, CA, Benay and Fred Clark (actress and sculptor Benay Venuta, 1910-1995, and actor Fred Clark, 1914-1968, were married 1952-1962)
- New York, Benay Venuta (1910-1995)?
- 1995, 11 May, New York, Sold at Christie's, Sale 8166, Impressionist & Modern Paintings, Drawings & Sculpture, Part 2, lot 214, "acquired by the present owner in 1956" ($ 55,200)
- 1995, Dallas, Texas, Raymond and Patsy Nasher Collection
- Museum's website
- 1946 Malingue
ed. M. Malingue, Lettres de Gauguin à sa femme et à ses amis, Paris, 1946, pl. 24 et 25, ill.
- 1958 Goldwater
R.J. Goldwater, Paul Gauguin, New York, 1958, p. 37, ill.
- 1963 Gray
Christopher Gray, Sculpture and Ceramics of Paul Gauguin, Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1963, no. 116, p. 252, ill. (Torso of a woman)
- 2003 Nash, Giménez and Brenson
Steven A. Nash, Carmen Giménez, Michael Brenson, A Century of Sculpture: The Nasher Collection, Dallas, The Nasher Foundation, 2003 (first published in 1997, expanded and republished in 2003 by The Nasher Foundation on the occasion of the inauguration in October 2003 of the Nasher Sculpture Center), p. 78-79, repr., 364
- 1959 Chicago/New York
Gauguin, Chicago, The Art Institute of Chicago, February-March 1959, no. 121; New York, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1959
1996-1997 San Francisco/New York
A Century of Sculpture: The Nasher Collection, Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, October 26, 1996 - January 12, 1997; Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, February 6 - June 1, 1997. Exhibition catalogue.
From Rodin to Calder: Masterworks of Modern Sculpture from the Nasher Collection, Dallas, Nasher Sculpture Center, Dallas, October 20, 2003 - September 2004
- In the early 1950s, dealer Curt Valentin (1902-1954) made an edition of 10 bronzes, cast in France by founder Valsuani.
One of them is at the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington, D.C.