Fontaine de l'Eau et de la Lumière
Fountain of Water and Light
cast-iron (fountain) and marble (basin)
Dimensions (HxWxD): fountain: approx. H. 30 ft; basin: approx. diam. 35 ft.; weight: 15,000 lbs.
Inscription plaque in front of the fountain reads: The Bartholdi Fountain / This fountain was created by Frederic / Auguste Bartholdi / for the International / Centennial Exhibition in / Philadelphia in 1876, where it was placed at a focal point on / the grounds. It was illuminated with gas lights, / later replaced with electric globes. Painted to / look like bronze, the fountain was designed / in three identical sections with classical forms / and symbols. The aquatic monsters, shells, / fish, sea nymphs and youthful tritons all refer / to the ocean. The fountain was intended to / represent the elements water and light. / In 1877 the fountain was purchased / from Bartholdi by the United States / government and placed on the Botanic / Garden grounds, then located at the center of / the mall. The fountain, moved to its present / location in 1932, was restored in 1986.
Photo credit: ph Wikimedia Daderot, 19 mars 2014