International Sculpture Center website, Kykuit gardens, August 18, 2015:
Kykuit, completed in 1913 for John D. Rockefeller and home to four generations of the Rockefeller family, sits high above the eastern banks of the Hudson River over looking the Palisades. Within the gardens of Kykuit are two distinct collections of sculpture. The fountains, wellheads and classical figures - from ancient and Renaissance models or by American sculptors of the early 20th century - were assembled between 1906 and 1913 by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and landscape architect William Welles Bosworth. The terraces descending to the west and the formal geometric spaces defined by stone walls and box hedges are punctuated by the pergolas and fountains integral to Italian garden design.
In 1963, Governor Nelson Rockefeller elaborated upon this tradition and brought to Kykuit works by Lachaise, Arp, Lipchitz, Marini and Giacometti, beginning the collection of modern sculpture that graces the park today. He continued to add pieces during his 16-year residence at Kykuit, taking great care in the precise siting of each. International in scope, this collection numbers more than 70 sculptures, and reflects many of the major trends of modern sculpture during the first three-quarters of the 20th-Century, including works by Maillol, Calder, Moore, Picasso, Noguchi, Meadmore, and Nadleman, among others.
Kykuit, a property of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, is maintained and administered by the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, which also operates the site as a center for the Fund's philanthropic programs. The public visitation program is managed by Historic Hudson Valley.