- 1876, commandé par des membres de l'Eglise presbytérienne pour l'Exposition Centennale (Exposition universelle) de Philadelphie, inauguré le 4 juillet
- déplacé au Horticultural Center, Fairmount Park (côté Nord de la boucle Est)
- Smithsonian Institution/SOS! website, August 18, 2015
- Association for Public Art website, August 18, 2015
- 1897 Monumental News
Monumental News, Aug. 1897, pg 470
- 1974 Fairmount Park Art Association
Fairmount Park Art Assoc., "Sculpture of a City: Philadelphia's Treasures in Bronze & Stone," NY: Walker Publ., 1974, p. 84
- 1985 University of Delaware
Index of American Sculpture, University of Delaware, 1985
- 1989 National Park Service
National Park Service, American Monuments and Outdoor Sculpture Database, PA5105, 1989
- 1994 SOS!
Save Outdoor Sculpture, Pennsylvania, Philadelphia survey, 1994
Association for Public Art website, http://associationforpublicart.org/interactive-art-map/reverend-dr-john-witherspoon, August 18, 2015:
Scottish born Rev. Dr. John Witherspoon (1723-1794), the only active clergyman in the Continental Congress, signed the Declaration of Independence and was an early President of Princeton University. This bronze and granite memorial was erected by members of the Presbyterian Church for the 1876 Centennial Exhibition.
The artist Bailly fled France in 1848 when he was conscripted into the army against his will. He settled in Philadelphia in 1850, and taught at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. Trained as a furniture wood carver with studies at the French Institute, he also sculpted the marble George Washington in Philadelphia City Hall’s Conversation Hall.