- 1783, Betz, France, commande de Marie Catherine Brignole, princesse de Monaco (1737-1813)
- Paris, Baron de Richter [date et mode d'acquisition inconnus]
- 1914, Jacques Seligmann [mode d'acquisition inconnu]
- 1914, New York, Mrs. Henry Walters, par achat
- 1941, May 3, New York, vente de Mrs. Henry Walters, no. 1380
- 1941, Walters Art Museum, par achat
Oeuvres en rapport
Claude Dejoux est l'auteur du buste en terre cuite de Marie-Christine Brignole, princesse de Monaco, 1783, Paris, musée du Louvre.
Museum's information, April 2013:
In 1754, Mme de Pompadour commissioned from Pigalle the original marble (now in the Louvre Museum, Paris). It was intended for her château in Bellevue on the outskirts of Paris and served as an allegory of her relationship with Louis XV, which had changed from that of mistress to confidant. Her features are recognizable on the figure of Friendship. After Mme de Pompadour's death, the statue was acquired by Louis Joseph de Bourbon, prince of Condé.
In 1783, Marie Catherine Brignole, the mistress of the prince of Condé, ordered this plaster version for the "Temple of Love" on her estate at Betz, in northern France. Pigalle, who was then 69 years old, consented to have his younger colleague Dejoux cast the piece. The statue and temple commemorated her love for the prince of Condé, who later became her husband.