French Sculpture Census

crédits photo : ph. courtesy BCMA
© artiste : public domain

CAFFIERI, Jean-Jacques
Paris 1725 - Paris 1792

Benjamin Franklin
Benjamin Franklin

vers 1785
plâtre patiné bronze

buste
75.88 x 50.17 x 30.8

N° d'inv. : 1835.1
Credit Line : Gift of William Vaughan

Brunswick, Maine, Bowdoin College Museum of Art

www.bowdoin.edu/art-museum

Historique

  • 1835, don de William Vaughan, qui a envoyé le buste de Londres

Bibliographie

  • Museum's website, August 27, 2015
  • 1981 Burke
    Bowdoin College Museum of Art. Handbook of the Collections, edited by Margaret R. Burke, Brunswick, 1981, p. 37: "A plaster bust of Benjamin Franklin, given by Benjamin Vaughan in 1835 as the work of Jean-Antoine Houdon, was the first European sculpture to enter the collections other than nineteenth-century plaster and marble copies of ancient works."
  • 2016 Ehrlich
    Pamela Ehrlich, "The Royal Academy of Sciences' Bust of Benjamin Franklin", Antiques & Fine Art, Summer 2016, p. 144-151

Oeuvres en rapport

Terre cuite patinée plâtre, H. 68,6 (sans la base), exposée au Salon de 1777, Paris, Bibliothèque Mazarine ; inscr. à l'arrière : BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, NE A BOSTON EN AMERIQUE LE XVII JANVIER 1706, FAIT PAR J.J. CAFFIERI, EN 1777.
Autres exemplaires en plâtre :
- Londres, Royal Academy, inscrit et signé
- New York, NY, Metropolitan Museum of Art, plâtre peint en vert, H. 34,3, inv. 83.2.190, don de William H. Huntington en 1883 (même modèle ?)
- New York, NY, New-York Historical Society, don du Dr. David Hosack (1769-1835) en 1835
- Varsovie, Pologne, Musée du château royal, inscrit et signé, inv. ZKW/3430, acheté à Caffieri par le roi Stanislas en 1784
- Washington, D.C., George Washington University, plâtre peint couleur bronze ou or, inscrit et signé, H. 71,1, don de Caffieri à l’Académie des sciences en 1788, puis don de la France par le Train de la Reconnaissance en 1949.
Exemplaires en marbre, dont certains ont pu être sculptés par Giuseppe Ceracchi (1751-1801), sculpteur italien qui séjourna à Philadelphie entre 1790 et 1794 :
- Annapolis, MD, Maryland State Archives, H. 63,5, inv. MSA SC 4680-20-0029, anciennement Peabody Institute Art Collection, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore
- Easton, PA, Lafayette College, H. 53,3, inv. S159
- Hartford, CN, Wadsworth Athenaeum, H. 49,5, inv. 1939.460, don de la succession de Mrs. James J. Goodwin en 1949
- Philadelphie, PA, Historical Society of Pennsylvania, provenant du Atwater Kent Museum of Philadelphia, H. 50,8 (sans base)
- Philadelphie, PA, Pennsylvania Hospital
- Philadelphia, PA, Second Bank of the United States
- Philadelphia, PA, The Franklin Institute, buste coupé aux épaules
- San Marino, CA, The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens, H. 52,1, inv. 24.4, acquis par Henry E. Huntington en 1924.
Autre modèle (veste avec boutons), exemplaires en biscuit de Sèvres :
- Cambridge, MA, Harvard Art Museums, H. 23, inv. 1943.1163, legs de Grenville L. Winthrop en 1943
- San Francisco, CA, Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco, Legion of Honor, H. 24,1, inv. 1925.477, don du Gouvernement français à l’occasion de l’ouverture du musée en 1925

Commentaire



Museum's label, November 25, 2016:
One of America's Founding Fathers, Benjamin Franklin (1705-1790) fostered the Enlightenment in the new republic. Franklin was the first president of the American Philosophical Society in Philadelphia in 1743, a scholarly organization that promoted science and the humanities. He served at that institution with John Vaughan, the secretary, and corresponded with Benjamin Vaughan, who had settled in Hallowell, Maine, on the nearby Kennebec River. In the early nineteenth century, Benjamin Vaughan was fully engaged in Bowdoin College's development. He wrote regularly to presidents Appleton and Cleaveland with advice on, among other things, academic matters and improving the campus architecture. His great contribution was his gift of over 1,000 books to the fledgling library. This plaster bust of Franklin by a leading French artist was one of the first sculptures to enter the College's art collection. William Vaughan, Benjamin's younger brother, sent it to Brunswick from London in 1835.