- 1929, November 16, dedicated
- Located in Mariemont, planned community village conceived by Mary Emery, planned by the landscape achitect John Nolen, and executed by Charles Livinghood, from 1923 onwards
- Smithsonian Institution/SOS! website, 13 August 2015
- 1967 Parks
Warren Wright Parks, The Mariemont Story, A National Exemplar in Town Planning, Cincinnati, Ohio: Creative Writers & Publishers, 1967, p. 108-110
- 1988 Giglierano
G. Giglierano & D. Overmyer, Bicentennial Guide to Greater Cincinnati: A Portrait of Two Hundred Years, Cincinnati, Ohio: The Cincinnati Historical Society, 1988, p. 544
Village of Mariemont, United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, p. 15, Accessed August 13, 2015:
Dale Park (actual park section bounded by Wooster Pike, Plainville Road, Chestnut Street, and Oak Street)
Although the neighborhood north of Wooster Pike and west of Plainville Road was called Dale Park by the Mariemont Company, the actual park space (approximately five acres) is the open area adjacent to the Mariemont Community Church and Lich Gate, the cemetery, Dale Park School, a playfield, and the so-called Dale Park Gardens. Set within the Gardens is a sculpture, “Statuary Group” or “Family Group” by the French sculptor, Lucien Charles Edouard Alliot (1877-1967).
Alliot studied with French sculptors E. Barrias, Louis Moreau, and Félix Coutan. He exhibited many times with the Salon des Artistes Français.
Reputedly, the sculpture was ordered in Paris by Charles J. Livingood, who saw a clay model of the work in the 1920s. Alliot’s subject matter focused on the human figure. One of his works, A L’Enfance, won a gold medal in 1920 from the Salon des Artistes Français and may be related to the Mariemont sculpture. Carved in limestone, the sculpture depicts three separate groups of French peasants: a mother and father standing on either
side of a standing infant and kissing the child (center), a seated woman (a grandmother?) holding a standing child on her lap (left), and a seated man (grandfather?) with a child on his lap who leans out away from him (right). The three groups are positioned on a concrete base, “U” shaped, with a bench across the front that is integrated in the concrete form. The “Statuary Group” was dedicated on November 16, 1929. During the late 1920s, elaborately designed formal flower gardens were
placed at the corner of Plainville Road and Wooster
Pike in Dale Park, with flagstone walks that led to the sculpture, recessed back about fifty feet from both streets.
Only remnants of Dale Park Gardens remain today, although the sculpture group still serves as an attractive monument in its landscaped setting. In the low-lying field east of Dale Park School, a baseball field and playground for the school remain.