- Lent by LaGrange College, Lamar Dodd Art Center, to the City of LaGrange
- 1976, Dedicated
- 2001, February 23, Rededicated
- Smithsonian Institution/SOS! website, August 26, 2015
- 2013 Johnson
Forrest C. Johnson, "LaGrange," New Georgia Encyclopedia, 16 August 2013, Web 26 August 2015
Bronze statue, 1883, in Le Puy-en-Velay, Haute-Loire, France.
See text on French version of this website.
Copy (?) by Harry JACKSON (1924-2011) after Ernest-Eugène HIOLLE (1854-1886).
New Georgia Encyclopedia's website, accessed August 26, 2015:
The central point [of downtown LaGrange], now a public square with a fountain, was home to the county courthouse from 1828 until 1936. The park was named LaFayette Square in 1976 after a statue of the Marquis de Lafayette, a French aristocrat and American Revolutionary hero, was placed on a pedestal in the fountain. LaGrange was named at the suggestion of Colonel Julius Caesar Alford (known as the "War Horse of Troup" in Congress), who in 1825 overheard Lafayette remark on the similarity between the west Georgia countryside and LaGrange, his wife's estate in France.