- 1884, December 19, this bronze is commissionned by wealthy businessman and collector William Thompson Walters (1820-1894) from founder Barbedienne in Paris through George A. Lucas. It was intended to match at the other end of Mount Vernon Place the Seated Lion by Barye.
- 1885, given to the City of Baltimore by Walter Williams
- Save Outdoor Sculpture! website, http://siris-collections.si.edu, 22 February 2016
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_public_art_in_Baltimore, accessed 22 February 2016
- 1929 Rusk
William Sener Rusk, Art in Baltimore: Monuments and Memorials, Baltimore: Norman, Remington, 1929, pg. 65-66
- 1971 Hunter
Wilbur Harvey Hunter, The Monumental City, The Rinehart School of Sculpture 75th Anniversary Catalogue 1896-1971, Baltimore, Maryland Institute College of Art, 1971, pg. 16-47
- 1983 Dorsey
John Dorsey, Mount Vernon Place, Baltimore: Maclay & Associates, 1983, pg. 24-25
- 1987 Naylor
Henry and Caroline Naylor, Public Monuments & Sculpture of Baltimore: An Introduction to the Collection, 1987
- 1989 Kotarba
Kathleen Kotarba, The Baltimore Bronze Project, Baltimore: Baltimore City Commission for historical and Architectural Preservation, July 1989
- 2006 Johnston and Kelly
William R. Johnston, "Barye's American Patrons", in William R. Johnston and Simon Kelly, Untamed: the Art of Antoine-Louis Barye, Baltimore, The Walters Art Museum, 2006, p. 57-58, notes p. 64-65
Walter's Art Museum's website, April 2013:
While studying in Italy from 1859 to 1863, Dubois was profoundly influenced by Italian Renaissance sculpture. This work was inspired by Michelangelo's statue from the tomb of Lorenzo de' Medici in Florence. Dubois originally sculpted this piece along with "Charity, Meditation, and Faith" as the corner statues for the tomb erected in the cathedral of Nantes, France, for General Jucault de Lamoricière (1806-1865), a commander of the French army in North Africa. The Barbedienne foundry later issued this sculpture in various sizes. A life-size version, donated to Baltimore by William T. Walters in 1885, stands in the Mount Vernon Place.
See also entry on French version of this website.