French Sculpture Census

crédits photo : photo by Smallbones, 2011, commons.wikimedia.org
© artiste : public domain

FREMIET, Emmanuel
Paris 1824 - Paris 1910

Exécutant: Thiébaut

Jeanne d'Arc
Joan of Arc

1889
bronze doré sur base en granite

statue(tte) équestre
H. 4,57 m. (dont base 2,54 m.)

Credit Line : The City of Philadelphia, outdoor sculpture

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Outdoor sculpture

Historique

  • A l'origine de la commande se trouvent la Ville de
  • Philadelphie, la Fairmount Park Art Association (aujourd'hui l'Association for Public Art), et le French Centennial Committee.
  • Propriété de la Ville de Philadelphie.
  • 1889 [1888 ?], des membres de la communauté française de Philadelphie cherchèrent l'aide de la Fairmount Park Art Association (aujourd'hui Association for Public Art) pour commémorer le centenaire de la Révolution en commandant une statue de Jeanne d'Arc à Fremiet. Le sculpteur soumit un modèle "amélioré" de sa statue de 1872, quoique Thomas Hockley de l'Art Association remarqua peu de changements, mis à part la "figure, qui est agrandie d'env. 4 ou 5 inches." Le contrat avec le sculpteur stipulait qu'il n'y aurait que trois éditions de la statue : celle de la place des Pyramides à Paris, une à Philadelphie et une à Nancy. Un site fut choisi à l'est du pont de Girard Avenue.
  • 1889, 26 janvier, facture du fondeur Thiébaut pour la fonte de la statue
  • 1890, 15 novembre, la statue est dévoilée à Philadelphie en grande pompe
  • 1960, la Fairmount Park Art Association dore la sculpture et la transporte à son emplacement actuel, juste au nord du Philadelphia Museum of Art, au croisement de 25th Street et Kelly Drive

Bibliographie

  • http://e-monumen.net/patrimoine-monumental/statue-equestre-de-jeanne-darc-philadelphia/, accessed 15 January 2015
  • 1914 Lami
    Stanislas Lami, Dictionnaire des sculpteurs de l'école française au XIXe siècle, Paris, 1914, I, p. 412
  • 1992 Bach
    Penny Balkin Bach, Public Art in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Temple University Press, 1992
  • 2013 website
    Audio program by Suzanne Lindsay, Diana Regan, and Judith Shea, museumwithoutwallsaudio.org/interactive-map/joan-of-arc#audio, accessed March 28, 2013

Commentaire



Museum Without Wallas Audio website, Adapted from Public Art in Philadelphia by Penny Balkin Bach (Temple University Press, Philadelphia, 1992):
Amid the ruins of the Franco-Prussian War, the French government commissioned Emmanuel Fremiet in 1872 to design a monument to Joan of Arc for the Place des Pyramides in Paris. Fremiet had earned a reputation for his work incorporating human and animal motifs in the neo-realistic manner. To develop the memorial to the French heroine, Fremiet studied the design of fifteenth-century French armor and dress in order to convey the figure within her historical context.
In 1889 members of the French community in Philadelphia sought the aid of the Fairmount Park Art Association (now the Association for Public Art) to commemorate their centennial by purchasing a statue of Joan of Arc from Fremiet. Fremiet submitted an "improved" model of his monument, though Thomas Hockley of the Art Association observed little change in it, save for the "figure, which is heightened about 4 or 5 inches." The contract with the sculptor stipulated that there would be only three editions of the statue: the one in the Place des Pyramides, one in Philadelphia, and one in Nancy. A site was selected on the eastern approach to the Girard Avenue Bridge, and on November 15, 1890, the work was unveiled in Philadelphia with extensive fanfare. In 1960 the Fairmount Park Art Association gilded the sculpture and relocated it to its present site near the Philadelphia Museum of Art.